Saturday, September 5, 2009

Top 10 Composers!

It donned on me that i have not really posted anything about one of my main passions. Film Music! I have been a big fan of film music ever since i was about five years old, when my mom refused to allow me to see Raiders of the Lost Ark. I really wanted to see the movie based on the commercials and i would draw pictures of Indiana Jones fighting snakes with his whip. Of course it just looked like Indy fighting a bunch of whips with his snake. My mom felt bad that i couldn't go see the movie, so she bought me the cassette tape of Raiders. Since then i have been listening to film scores! Over the last 27 years i have come to love a lot of composers. Here is my Top 10!

1. - Danny Elfman
2. - James Newton Howard
3. - Bernard Herrmann
4. - John Powell
5. - John Williams
6. - Michael Giacchino
7. - John Barry
8. - David Arnold
9. - Basil Poledouris
10.- Jerry Goldsmith

So there you have it!

Oh. Here's my bottom 10

1-8. -Hans Zimmer
9. -Monty Norman
10. -James Horner

4 comments:

Dan said...

I remember you saying you didn't like Hans Zimmer back on one of the Jay and Jack podcasts.

Why the hate man?

Ralph- said...

Yeah, he still sucks ass. Look at the end credits of any movie he has done. There is usually 5 or 6 composers that get "additional composer" credits. The guy gets top billing for music that he didn't even compose. And the music is not that good to begin with.

Have you heard his "Joker Theme" for the Dark Knight, it is a joke.

Dan said...

Ok, I can see the thing about the "additional composer" credits. That is kind of unfair about the top billing.

But I do have to say I enjoy his (and the other "additional composer's") soundtracks. Moreso the slower songs than the pounding thunderous ones. Those can get a little old after a while.

Paul Spooner said...

Moe like top ten comPOSERS! (see what I did there)