Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Blarg Sketchbook -"Dead Men Tell No Tales"

My friend Justin Shady has a website called THE BLARG. For the last two months he has been doing a feature called "Sketchbook". Justin sends out a key word or phrase to contributers, who use it as inspiration to show off their artistic talent. This month's phrase was "Dead Men Tell No Tales", and although i think i could have done better with my entry, i am really happy with my concept. CHECK OUT my piece titled "She Broke my Heart" and let me know what you think!

5 comments:

Joan Crawford said...

This is really good! Did you draw it with oil crayons? Is there any significance to one blue and one green eye? And the fish? Am I reading too much into this?

Ralph- said...

I drew it, put it into photoshop and colored it there. it only took about 45 minutes total.

Both the eyes are the same color, but the right eye is just blurry.

The deal with the fish is this. This is a picture of the famous scene in Jaws where Quint, Hooper and Brodie tell tales about different shark tales. The actors who portray Quint and Brodie are no longer alive. So i left Hooper (aka Richard Drefus) sitting by himself sad, with nobody's tale to listen to. In the film, Hooper is eating fish.

Joan Crawford said...

That's a sad story...but it's a good idea for a drawing. It's a little odd, too. I like it.

Paul Spooner said...

Great idea Ralf... and a bit sad.

Paul Spooner said...

sorry......Ralph!